cabo san lucas information - Travel and Vacation Information for Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico

FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions and Information
About Cabo San Lucas and the Los Cabos area of Baja California Sur, Mexico

Topless Sunbathing and Nude Beaches in Cabo San Lucas and Los Cabos, Mexico

Public nudity is generally not legal in Mexico although enforcement of this law is not very strict. The only resort in Baja (that I am aware of) where nudity is permitted is located in Loretto. There are several beaches in the Cabo San Lucas and the Los Cabos area that are isolated enough to permit topless sunbathing and nudity. Use your common sense, see what other people are doing. If others are topless nearby, then the pracitce may be more tolerated in that area. Los Cabos has more information about Nude Beaches and Topless Sunbathing in Cabo San Lucas and Los Cabos.

Where is Cabo San Lucas?

Cabo San Lucas is located at the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula in the State of Baja California Sur. Cabo is approximately 1,000 miles south of San Diego, California, 10 degrees below the Tropic of Cancer at a latitude of approximately 22 degrees. Cabo San Luas is approximately 20 miles southwest of the Los Cabos International Airport.

What is Los Cabos and where is it located?

Los Cabos is the municipality which includes the cites of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, and located in the state of Baja California Sur.

How do you get to Los Cabos, Mexico?

Los Cabos, Mexico is accessible by air from most major cities in the United States and Mexico by Aeromexico, Aero California, Alaska Airlines, America West, Continental, Mexicana Airlines, United Airlines, and various charter flights flying into the Los Cabos International Airport. From Los Angeles and San Diego, the flying time is approximately 2 hours. Cabo San Lucas is accessible by sea via Carnival Cruises from Los Angeles and other major cruise lines. By land, Cabo is accessible via Highway 1, which runs the entire length of the Baja California peninsula from the US border. There is Greyhound Bus service from Los Angeles to Tijuana via San Diego and then by Autotransportes Aguila Tres Estrellas de Oro from Tijuana to La Paz and then on to Cabo San Lucas or by various other tour bus operators. From Tijuana, the drive is long (22 hours by car and 30+ hours by bus). The roads are narrow, so be careful and watch out for the cows!

What is the legal drinking age in Mexico?

The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18 years of age. Please be careful, as over indulging is quite common and generally leads to trouble. Drinking Alcohol in Public - while this is tolerated to an extent, it is illegal to drink alcoholic beverages on the street, in vehicles, at the beach and other public places. It is an offense to drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

What is needed to drive in Cabo San Lucas and the Los Cabos areas of Baja California Sur?

No special permits or bonds are needed, unless you plan to continue on to Mexico's mainland. You will need a valid drivers license issued by your state of residence. Be sure to get Mexican insurance before crossing the border, as your U.S. insurance is not valid in Mexico. Do not drive in Mexico without insurance! While you are purchasing insurance, get a map that shows the locations of gas stations. Keep your gas tank as close to full as possible, even if it means extra stops. You never know when the next gas station will be closed or out of gas. It is a good idea to carry a gas can, with gas in it.  The roads are constantly patrolled by the Green Angels (daytime hours only) who will help with gas and very minor repairs. These angels of mercy will pass by eventually, although you will probably be helped before they do by others passing by. The roads are generally safe, but narrow by U.S. standards, be extra careful. Don't drive at night unless you are curious about the real meaning of "Road Kill". Even in the day time, you will need to watch out for Cattle and other animal crossing the highway.

Where can I attend a Church Service in Cabo San Lucas and the Los Cabos area?

Churches and Church Services - There are many option for worship services in the Los Cabos area. Catholic, Christian, non-denominational and Jehovah’s Wiitnesses services are available in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

What time zone is Los Cabos in and does the time change with daylight savings time?

Los Cabos and Baja California Sur are located within the Mountan Time Zone. The time changes here whenever Daylight Savings Time changes.

Taxi Service - What are the taxi rates in Los Cabos?

Taxis are available from the airport and at most locations in Los Cabos. At the airport the collective taxi (a small 9 passenger van) costs about $11.00 per person to Cabo San Lucas. There are larger buses available for about $11.00 per person.The collective taxis and buses will make several stops on the way from the airport to your hotel. Getting back to the airport from Cabo will cost about $45 to $60 for a private taxi. Most hotels offer shuttle service for a reduce rate.

What is the best way to get from the Los Cabos International Airport to Cabo San Lucas?

There are four ways to get from the airport to Cabo. TRANSFER COMPANIES offer pre arranged private or shuttle transfers. See your travel agent for details. PRIVATE TAXI CABS will take four people to Cabo San Lucas for $60 U.S., with an additional charge of $5 per person over 4 people. AIRPORT SHUTTLE VANS provide service to Cabo for $10 to $12 per person, and there may be a stop or two on the way to your hotel to drop off other passengers. PRIVATE LIMOUSINES will cruise up to 6 people to Cabo in style for $100 U.S., and that price includes one cervesa per person!

What about the public transportation bus system? 

Los Cabos does have a public transportation bus service. These busses that run between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo all day, every day of the week.  They start running in San Jose at 5:00 AM and in Cabo they start at 5:20 AM, and run until 9:30 or 10:00 PM.  There are official bus stops, with seats and shade, but the busses can be flagged down, from almost anywhere along the highway, by waving your arms.  They will usually stop, if they see you in time.  The busses only run on the main highway and pass each stop (approximately) every twenty minutes.  The fare is 16 pesos (about $1.45 U.S.) between the two towns, less if your only going part of the way.  There are also express busses that won't stop for you (they must be boarded at a bus station), but wave anyway, they all look alike around here.  Don't expect a first class bus with air conditioning and drink service, this is Mexico, after all.

Weather and Climate - What is the weather like?

Average annual rainfall: 10 inches - Coldest months: December and January
Storm season: July to October - Average water temperature: 72º F.
Average air temperatures: 50 to 80º F. winter; 70 to 100º F. summer.
The Pacific Ocean side of Los Cabos is generally 10º F. cooler than the Sea of Cortés.

The average year-round temperature is 78F. During the high tourist season, October to April, the temperature is typically 80F during the day and cools to the 60's at night. In the low season, May to September, the temperature will go up to 100+F during the day and stay in the upper 70's and low 80's in the evening. The average year-round water temperature in the Sea of Cortez is 72F. During the summer months the water temperture can reach the mid 80's. The climate is arid with over 300 days of sunshine, with some reports of over 350 days. Average annual rainfall is 10 inches (25.4cm), most with occurring during the months of September and October. Check out the current weather using our weather links page.

Where are the United States Consular Agency and Canada consulate located?

United States of America Consular Agency - Mr. Michael J. Houston, Consular Agent, Boulevard Marina, Local C-4, Plaza Nautica, Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Telephone: (624) 143-3566 | Fax: (624) 143-6750 | E-mail:

Canada Consulate - Ms. Peggy Dillman, Representative, #9 Plaza Jose Green (Banamex), Boulevard Mijares, San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Telephone: (624) 142-4333 | Fax: (624) 142-4262.

What Currency is used in Los Cabos?

The currency is the Mexican Peso. Exchange rates at booths and hotels are slightly lower than banks, but you may have to wait in line a lot longer. Banks are open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. or later, and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Some do not exchange travelers checks. Ask before you line up. Shops and restaurants accept dollars and credit cards. Both towns have ATMs and American Express offices. Cash is dispensed in pesos.

Will I be able to use credit cards?

All major credit cards are accepted in Los Cabos and in Mexico - VISA and MasterCard are the most widely accepted. American Express is accepted in some stores and restaurants, but VISA and MasterCard are preferred. The Discover Card is not yet accepted. It is suggested that you ask the merchant, in advance, which credit cards are accepted.

Will I be able to get cash from the banks with my credit cards?

All of the banks will give cash advances, most have ATM machines at their locations, for after hours cash.

Water - Can I drink the water in Los Cabos?

The water supply for all of Los Cabos is piped from aquifers in the Sierra de La Laguna range. All major hotels and restaurants have purified water. Bottled water is available in tourist areas. The water here is very pure, but be careful.  The pipes used for distribution of the water supply and other factors can lead to contamination. Although many people drink the water directly from the tap, it is not recommended. Anywhere in the world a change in drinking water can cause stomach distress. We recommend that you drink only bottled or purified water. If there is any doubt in your mind, do not hesitate to ask for purified water "Agua Purificada" or bottled water.

How can I access the Internet to receive my e-mail?

Answer:  There several internet cafes in the Los Cabos area that provide intenet access service. Please check our section on Cabo Internet Cafes for the latest information.

What about hospitals, doctors and dentists?

Both towns have modern hospitals and good medical and dental facilities. A diver’s decompression chamber is in Cabo San Lucas at the Hospital de Especialidades. Phone: 143-3666. We have a nice new hospital in Cabo San Lucas and we have some competent doctors, many speak English. The equipment here is usually older and somewhat out of date, compared to what you are probably used to. The hospital is not equipped for severe trauma cases. Check with your hotel for the name of an English-speaking doctor, write their phone numbers down and carry them with you. Medical service here is nowhere near as sophisticated as in the U.S. or Canada. Our Medical, Health and Emergency Services page has a listing of medical services.

What do you need to travel in Mexico? - Mexico's Entry Requirements:

To enter Mexico you need to obtain a Tourist Card (FMT). To get your Tourist Card you will need to prove citizenship, a passport is best for this purpose. Other forms of accepted proof of citizenship include, certified birth certificate with the raised seal, naturalization papers or a notarized affidavit of citizenship. Maried women also need to take their marriage license or affidavit of same to verify their name change from from the name shown on the birth certificate. A photo ID is required for international travel. A passport can serve as proof of citizenship and photo ID. Airlines will furnish the Tourist Card. Be sure to save the copy that is given back to you, as you must present this copy when leaving Mexico. If you do not have this form, there will be a charge. For more information visit the U. S. Department of State web site.

If you are driving, stop at the border and inquire as to the location of the immigration office and get your Tourist Card there, there is an immigration office in Ensenada and an officer now stationed at the check point just south of Guerrero Negro. If you cannot obtain a Tourist Card from anyone during your trip, stop at the Immigration Office in La Paz or Cabo San Lucas immediately upon arrival, to obtain your visa.

The Ferry to Mainland Mexico - What is the schedule? Where do they leave from?

The Ferry leaves from La Paz daily and goes to Mazatlán and Topolobampo on the mainland. There is no ferry service from Cabo San Lucas or La Paz to Puerta Vallarta. The Ferry Dock is located at Pichilingue Terminal n La Paz. For more information about the Ferry to Mainland, Mexico.

Cabo San Lucas Information Source - Los Cabos Guide. Directory and travel guide to Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo and Los Cabos areas of Baja California Sur, Mexico. Activities, articles, beaches, fishing, general information, golf, hotels, maps, real estate, rentals, resorts, restaurants, services, shopping, vacation discounts, villas and more.

los cabos guide cabo san lucas
cabo san lucas guide

cabo san lucas information

Copyright ©2005 - Joseph A. Tyson - All Rights Reserved -
Los Cabos Magazine - Los Cabos Visitor's Guide - Tyson Promotions - Promociones Tyson, S. A. de C. V.
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico - Contact Us - Last revision:
Copyright ©2005 - Joseph A. Tyson - All Rights Reserved
Los Cabos Magazine - Los Cabos Visitor's Guide - Tyson Promotions - Promociones Tyson, S. A. de C. V.

30 January 2005